Looking for scriptures to pray over your baby? Start with these 5 verses and prayers to bless your child with God’s truth.I entered into motherhood not under the best circumstances. I was seventeen and a senior in high school, and my life had turned upside down. Yet it was during that pregnancy that I gave my heart to Jesus. I didn’t know much, but I knew one thing. . .I knew that prayer and knowing God’s Word would make a difference in my child’s future.
Have you thought about praying for your baby, but you don’t know where to start? Here are some verses to pray.
1. A Prayer of Dedication. The Bible shares a story of Hannah who prayed for a child and God gave her a son. With a heart full of thankfulness, Hannah dedicated her son to the Lord.
1 Samuel 1:26-28 says,
‘Pardon me, my lord. As surely as you live, I am the woman who stood here beside you praying to the Lord. I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the Lord. For his whole life he will be given over to the Lord.’ And she worshiped the Lord there.
Each of us can pray the same, “Lord, for my child’s whole life I give him over to you.” This doesn’t have to be done in a formal way. Instead, as we dress our baby for the day we can pray to God, stating that we are giving him to the Lord for that day—and for his life. Just imagine what God can do with that prayer!
2. A Prayer of Focus. As our children grow there will be so many things that seem important, but truly the most important part of raising kids is to teach them to love God and love others.
Luke 10:27 says, He answered,
‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
A simple prayer to prayer is, “Lord, help my child to love you with all her heart, soul, strength and mind and love others as much as herself. May this be the focus of my child’s life.”
3. A Prayer for Sweet Sleep. If there is one thing tired mamas want most for their babies it’s sweet sleep!
Proverbs 3:24 says,
When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
Sleep is needed for our babies to grow and stay healthy. “Lord, I pray for my baby to have sweet sleep,” is a beautiful and simple prayer to pray. And it’s alright to pray for sweet sleep for ourselves, too!
4. A Prayer for a Teachable Heart. When you look at your sweet little baby, it may seem hard to believe that someday your child will be stubborn and willful. While it’s important to raise children who are willing to be taught by us, even more is for your child to have a teachable heart when it comes to God’s Word.
Isaiah 54:13 says,
All your children will be taught by the LORD, and great will be their peace.
When a child is willing to read God’s Word—and willing to be taught by the Lord—everything will change. “Lord, I pray my baby will grow to have a teachable heart and be willing to be taught by you.”
This is a prayer you can continue to pray through the years, and with God’s grace your child will have peace in his future as he learns to make good choices.
5. A Prayer for Trusting in God’s Presence. When our babies are small it’s hard to imagine a time when we won’t be there for them. Thankfully even when we’re not there God will be.
Isaiah 51:10 says,
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
When your child grows to trust in God’s presence she will learn to turn to God during times of fear or worry. A simple prayer is, “Lord, I pray that my child will not grow with fears, but will instead understand that you are God and you will strength her with your righteous right hand.”
All these prayers are so important. Equally important is teaching our kids God’s truth even during their baby years. I love the God’s Little Ones board books.
Noah’s Noisy Friends, God Loves You, Little One and My First Bible Words are great ways to introduce your baby to God’s Truth. Knowing God’s truth, along with your prayers, will lead your baby to knowing the One who matters most!
What special prayers are you praying over your baby?