It can often seem like our preschoolers aren’t yet ready to understand big faith concepts but I have come to learn that planting simple seeds in the soil of their hearts will yield big fruit as they grow in greater understanding of God’s truth.
Our friend Max Lucado offers kids simple faith lessons through his series, Hermie the Common Caterpillar. If you are looking for a way to begin talking with your little ones about faith, start with these lessons to open their hearts and minds to the Truth.
3 Simple Faith Lessons for Preschoolers
Truth: God’s Not Finished with Me Yet
Key Verse: God began a good work in you. And he will continue until it is finished. Philippians 1:6 ICB
- God made us special, according to his plan. What is one special thing about you?
- God isn’t finished with us yet. He will continue to work on us our whole lives like an artist works on a painting until the masterpiece is done. How are we as God’s creation like a painting?
- God will work in us until we become the most beautiful version of ourselves we can be. If God is working so hard to make us this special, why do you think it’s important to not compare ourselves to others?
Truth: God is Always with Us
Key Verse: Be strong and brave. So don’t be afraid. The Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9 ICB
- We can be brave because God is always with us. Can you think of a time you needed to be brave?
- There are many Bible stories that show us how God helped people to not be afraid. What are some of those stories?
- God is always near but it can be hard to remember that in the middle of a scary or uncomfortable moment. What can we do in those situations to remind ourselves that God is with us?
Truth: God Hears Us When We Pray
Key Verse: Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Philippians 4:6 ICB
- God is always near and ready to listen to our prayers. When do you usually pray to God?
- Talking to God in prayer is like talking to a friend, which means we can pray to him any time. What are some things you can pray to God about throughout the day?
- Because God promises to always be near and always hear our prayers, we can trust him to take care of all of our needs. What are you trusting God for right now?
For more tools to talk with your children about prayer, watch Hermie, Episode 8 and check out the companion curriculum (coming soon).
What are the simple faith lessons you are teaching the preschoolers in your life?