Ahhhh…. Summer is here!
I love the laid back days of this season…especially when I intentionally choose to enjoy these moments with my children – moments that will pass all too quickly.
This year I realized that I only have six summers left with my oldest child. Time flies! Because I don’t want to look back with regret, I am choosing to revel in the time that I have to create memories with my family. Summer is such a fun time to do just that!
Here are ten “cool” summer ideas for fun with your family!
1. Sprinkler Fun– I know this is such a simple activity, but I think that is exactly why we so often forget it. Grab a sprinkler and hook it up to the hose for an easy way to create hours of fun!
2. Rainy Day Fort– My children LOVE to make forts. A rainy summer day is the perfect time to grab a pile of blankets and drape them all around so kids can have their own little hideout. Gather a few flashlights and books. Your children will love their little hideout!
3. Car Wash– Pull out all the bikes, a bucket of water, soap and a few sponges and have a “car wash”. My children love washing their bikes and scooters. Pull the car in the driveway for a good wash and have even more fun!
4. Play in the Rain– Grab some boots and let your children enjoy a summer rain shower firsthand.
5. Go on a Bug Search – Take an afternoon to discover all of the different bugs living in your yard. Be sure to have a jar and a magnifying glass in case you need to examine one up close. Spend time talking about how God made each and every creature from the small ant to the beautiful butterfly.
6. Outdoor Devotional Time– When it is nice out why not move your family’s devotional time outside? Lay a blanket out on the grass under the shade of a tree and snuggle up with your kids. The Hide and Seek Devotional would be a fun addition to this time for the summer. Beautifully illustrated, each day has three sections under a main devotion, “Hide the Word”, “Seek the Lord” and “Pray to God”. Also, included in this fun devotional is a link for a free audio download of Scripture memory songs children will love singing along to. Narrated by Kirk Cameron, this full-length album reinforces the Bible verses and helps children commit them to memory.
7. One Day Park Hop– This is so much fun! Find a few parks in the area and spend a designated amount of time at each one until you have visited them all in the same day.
8. Art in the Yard– Use a large piece of fabric or an old sheet. Spread it out on the lawn and let everyone paint.
9. Drip Drip Splash Game– Just like “Duck Duck Goose”, use a cup of water to drip drip and then splash when you are ready to choose your goose!
10. Rainy Day Read-athon– Have your children gather all of their favorite storybooks and spend the day reading through as many as you can.
Before long, fall and winter will be creeping in! So make the most of your summer by creating memories your children will treasure the rest of their lives.
What have been some of your favorite cool summer ideas for your kids over the years?
Ruth Schwenk:Like you, Ruth wears many hats! She loves being the wife of a pastor, who is her best friend and love of her life. She is a grateful homeschooling mom of four beautiful children, and also a hopeful mom who looks forward to seeing her five miscarried children in heaven. Ruth is a graduate of The Moody Bible Institute in Chicago, IL. On August 1st, 2011, Ruth launched TheBetterMom.com, a site dedicated to moms who want to be better moms by sharing life and learning together, to the glory of God. In September 2013, her and her husband launched FortheFamily.org, dedicated to helping Christian families. Ruth’s passions include, loving God, leading worship, and inspiring others to have a God honoring family.
Connect: Website Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest