Here this week is author Kathryn Slattery! Her new book, If I Could Ask God Anything, is a unique kid-friendly book jam-packed with clear, fresh answers to important questions about God, faith, prayer, and Christianity in language that children can understand. Kathryn has been so nice to answer some of the most popular questions for us right here on the blog each week! Today, she continues with a question in her ALL ABOUT THE BIBLE series!
First of all, congratulations! You can be sure that your curiosity and desire to get to know God better through reading the Bible, makes God very happy! Here are the best five tips I know for reading the Bible.
1. Before you start reading your Bible, take a moment to pray. Ask God to open your mind and heart to understanding His Word (Colossians 1:9).
2. Select a short section of the Bible. Before you start reading, ask yourself, “What kind of book is this?” Remember, the Bible is actually a library of different kinds of books! You also might want to ask, “When was this book written?” If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you might want to use a study Bible that gives lots of helpful background information for each book.
3. Read a short section of the Bible carefully. Don’t rush. Take your time and think about what the words mean.
4. Ask yourself, “What is God trying to say to me right now? How does this message apply to my daily life?”
5. Decide how you might want to act on what you’ve learned.
Keep at it, and I promise you will be amazed at the way God can actually speak to you through the Bible!
Why does God want to speak to you?
Because God loves you. (1 John 3:1)