I love sharing God’s Story with my kids. As we walk through the Bible together, sharing stories and values from God’s Word, I’ve started to tell the Story as if it were their own. After all, creation is the “once upon a time” of their lives. . .
God’s Story is one of LOVE and REDEMPTION. These two themes run through every page of the narrative, every season of our lives. Our role as believers will always be to love with a God-like love and to be God’s ambassadors of redemption, pointing the way to a life made whole through relationship with Jesus. As our children grow and learn their unique gifts and passions, they will discover how to apply these themes to their visions, dreams, daily lives and ultimately their life work.
Our greatest responsibility as parents in cultivating the faith of our children is to help them understand God’s love and his heart to redeem our broken world. How and when they will be used by him to help write the Story will be revealed as they commit their life to God and grow with Jesus.
As your child grows in relationship with God, here are a few ways you can help guide them towards understanding their role in God’s great Story:
1. Tell the Story (the gospel) regularly and remind your child of their place in it.
2. Teach your child Bible stories as if they are a part of your child’s personal history and heritage. . .because they are.
3. Keep the themes of love and redemption prominent in your life and family story.
4. Help your child discover his/her unique gifts and passions while encouraging ways those things can be used to love and serve others.
5. Make community a priority for your family so your child will see the body of Christ in action.
6. Connect your child to older children and adults who share their gifts and passions. Seeing how other, like-minded people are using their lives to serve God will nurture their dreams.
7. Remind your child that there are many ways to be used in God’s great Story. You don’t have to be a pastor or missionary to be a part of the Story. You don’t have to have a lot of money or become famous to play an important role. You don’t even have to be an adult to be used by God. All of us can play a part in God’s great Story throughout every season of our lives as long as we follow him. God’s Love For You Bible Storybook by Rich & Renee Stearns of World Vision is full of stories about kids God used to do great things for His Kingdom. These stories are great ways to encourage your children that they don’t have to wait until they grow up to make a difference.
As parents, one of our deepest joys will be to see how our children use their lives to serve God. No matter what vocation or ministry they choose, our children’s role in God’s great Story will be beautiful and effective as long as they grow to know God’s heart for them and all his creation. If we do our best to help them understand God’s love and plan to make broken things whole again, our kids are gonna change the world!
How are you guiding your child to discover their role in the Story?