When it comes to gift giving, time, money and effort can be an issue. We all get so busy and the days never seem to go the way we need them to in order to get everything done.
So it would be so much simpler to just sign the kids names to the tag on Grandma’s gift and call it done. But there’s something about letting the kids do their own gifts that helps them learn about sacrifice and loving someone enough to make a special effort just for them.
So then, how to mix the need for speed with their need for giving? One way is to come up with simple gifts that they can give.
1. Baked goods – You can never have enough dessert, right? But instead of making everything from scratch, pick something easy. Get a roll of premade peanut butter cookie dough and a package of Hershey’s Kisses. When the cookies are out of the oven and moved to the cooling rack, press the Kisses in the center of each cookie. Let them cool for a few hours then deliver them on a paper plate.
2. Christmas ornaments – Save those toilet paper tubes and let the kids make ornaments. Glue, glitter, markers, construction paper and string and let them have at it.
3. Books – Let the kids choose a few of their favorite books and order them online. It’s easy and they get to give something that means a lot to them. A fun Christmas book is Dreaming of a Pink Christmas for another little girl friend.
4. Duck Tape Crafts – These days there are so many patterns when it comes to Duck Tape. Buy a few rolls and give the kids a few ideas then let them design their gifts. They can make wallets, jewelry, hats. ties, games, so many things!
5. Family “Photos” – One year as I was visiting my family my little niece drew a picture of me and her together. Years later I still have it hanging in my bedroom. Give the kids some art paper and sharpened pencils and let them draw pictures of things that are special between them and the person they are giving it to.
If you have done something fun and easy with your kids for them to give gifts, we’d love to hear about it! Come on and share your ideas!