There is a sweet elderly lady on our street that just had to send her husband to a nursing home. He has dementia and was wandering off.
You can see the sadness in her eyes.
A few nights ago, my children saw her out weeding her garden. They said, “Mommy, we feel so sorry for her; she looks so sad! Can we please go say hello and cheer her up?”
I love these teachable moments where the Holy Spirit grabs a hold of our little ones’ hearts. These are the moments where we need to give God free reign to plant those tiny seeds in their souls. It’s those tiny seeds that, over time, will grow mighty with roots that dig down deep into the soil of their hearts.
Psalm 1:1-3 says
Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
He is like a tree
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
Our goal as parents is to raise our children with solid convictions, so that when the temptations come, they have a firm and solid foundation.
Here are 31 ways children can finish off the Summer well by giving back to others and showing God’s love:
1. Write a letter to a friend and put it in the mailbox.
2. Draw a picture and mail it to your teacher to tell them that you miss them.
3. Bless the mailman/woman by leaving them a gift and thanking them for their hard work.
4. Do some yard work for a neighbor.
5. Volunteer at a soup kitchen with your family.
6. Organize a toy drive for the children’s wing at your local hospital.
7. Participate in a 5K walk as a family to raise money for cancer or another important cause.
8. Bake cookies for a family at your church you want to encourage.
9. Paint a picture for your grandparents and mail it to them.
10. Help a sibling learn how to read.
Visit our friends at FaithGateway to continue reading!
How do you teach your children to have a heart of compassion for others? Have you been able to witness the Holy Spirit working in the hearts of your kids through reaching out to others?
Traci Little: Traci is a curly-headed dreamer who loves her Savior, adores her best friend called Hubby, and her three children! She never knew how much she would love being at home full time with her kids, but she does (most days)! What a privilege and high calling! She loves to blog, take pictures, cook, decorate cakes, and make her home cozy and inviting! She also enjoys teaching women God’s Word through Bible studies at church and online devotions. It is her desire to glorify God through encouraging and edifying other women. It is her heart’s cry to motivate women to abide in Christ, respect their spouse, and raise their little ones to know the love of Jesus. God’s grace captivates her in such a way that she wants her life to make a difference for His glory.